
2009, to me, will always instantly be recalled by a few piano notes of Elton John. Though I had fallen for his music back in 2000, when "Tiny Dancer" on the Almost Famous soundtrack opened my eyes from 90's alternative to classic rock (which, ironically, is now being considered classic rock), it wasn't until this year that I really started getting into it - starting with his greatest hits and then working my way backwards to the magic that is Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (which has the wonderful "Someone Saved my Life Tonight" and is for some reason, NOT on the greatest hits) as well as Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - the 1973 album which has so many fantastic songs including my favs "All The Girls Love Alice" (below - DO LISTEN), "Sweet Painted Lady," "Grey Seal," of course the titular track, and "Candle in the Wind" - his tribute to Marilyn Monroe (Goodbye Norma Jean...)
Other faves that I can't help but love are Rocketman, Your Song, Daniel, Island Girl (which I used to think he was singing "I like girls" to which I was like, you are such a LIAR!), Philadelphia Freedom, Crocodile Rock, I'm Still Standing, Honky Cat, Saturday Night....ack, so many! I could literally go on and on...
But let'ts talk about Elton's wonderfully courageous fashion sense. From the start, there was no hiding his flamboyancy and his affection for crazy glasses, sequin hats, Balmain-esque jackets and crazy-ass platforms. God bless Elton!







And thus, he has been inspiring me lately...maybe not to this extent but certainly makes you push your boundaries!
Platforms: Robert Clergerie; Pants: Guess; Dress (worn as top): ASOS; Hat: Forever 21; Tie necklace: Paraphenelia