Taking the initiative

Thursday, April 17, 2008


So...things are looking up. Which is such a relief because I was so depressed about two days ago. Two potential job leads turned out to be ANOTHER internship - one they wanted someone to work in Casting for A MONTH for no pay, the other was being an administrative person for a film organization - two days a week, no pay.

Do people REALLY need interns to do admin work? I mean, come on, fork over the $10 an hour and actually hire someone to do it.

You know, if I didn't have massive apartment fees, a mortage and my EI running out in two weeks, I would be totally down for more internships. I mean, in an internship you are really respected because HEY you are working for free and they are just glad to have you there (so I've been told). But you have to draw the line somewhere and come April 25th I would have put in 120 hours of free labour.

Anyway, that cheesed me off that some companies think students will take anything (and we are continuing ed students which means we aren't 21 years old and living with ma and pa - we have done school in the past, been in the workforce for at least a few years and have mortgages to pay, mouths to feed etc). Toss us a frickin bone here - I mean...really.

BUT things are started to look up. I've really hunkered down the last couple of days and started using all my networking skills to line up potential jobs, people, anything.

Let's just say it's paying off - there are a few promising scenarios on the horizon, one involving my script, three (and potentially more) involving awesome jobs in the Film/TV/commercial industry. But I don't want to say any more lest they all go nowhere - however, since I've had such an unusually dynamic, lucky and ironic day, that if anything good does come out of this, I will be sure to tell you all about it. Just want the story to have a happy ending.

PS - I got my hair cut...see:



PPS - You have to try these vodka freezies - just like when you were a kid and had freeze pops - only it has booze in it. Yummy, yummy booze. www.blackflycoolers.com
Share this article on :
 
© Copyright 2011 FasHion sToRe All Rights Reserved.
Free Templates by Cool Blogger Tutorials- Powered by Blogger.com.